With the ability to actually see the values of tensors at each step of the computation, PyTorch is our red-hot favorite when it comes to ML frameworks. One reason is that it makes debugging so much easier. There are still some rough edges, but there is also a pretty active community that continually improves the framework and fixes existing bugs.
We recently stumbled about a paper [arxiv:1704.08384] that uses a knowledge-based memory in combination with attention and we wanted to try a similar approach to predict types for fragments of texts that often have very few tokens. The pre-processing took the most time, while the actual training and description of the model, thanks to PyTorch, was a piece of cake. Our idea can be implemented by combining some recently introduced methods and it does not require any new layer or module.
In our first approach we ignore the order of the tokens, but we are using a mask [arxiv:1612.03969] to weight individual dimensions of the embedding:
torch.sum(E(in_words) * M(in_words), 0)
where E, M are both matrices with shape=(#tokens, #dims). This allows us to convert an arbitrary sequence of tokens into a fixed length representation. The mask should be initialized to 1 for all entries which can be done with:
M.weight = torch.nn.Parameter(torch.from_numpy(np.ones((#tokens, #dims))).float())
The problem is that even if an example only references a very small subset of all tokens, the gradient update is dense which means the whole embedding matrix is updated. This problem is not limited to PyTorch, for instance, it is also present in Theano. For the latter we already described one way to fix it. In PyTorch this is of course also possible, but the approach is different.
Usually a model contains an module for the embedding
which leads by default to a dense gradient update. To switch to sparse gradient updates, we only have to adjust the initialization to
torch.nn.Embedding(#tokens, #dims, sparse=True)
and that is all.
However, in our PyTorch version the adjustment only worked with basic optimizers like Adagrad or SGD, but it refused to work with RMSprop or Adam. It seems some functionality is missing
torch.sparse.FloatTensor' object has no attribute 'addcmul_'
but we strongly believe that this is fixed pretty soon.
The performance gain in terms of the sparsity is pretty huge: When everything else is equal, the processing of a block took 7000 ms without sparsity, but only 950 ms with sparsity. This is an improvement of 86%.
Without the memory, the rest of the model is straightforward: First we encode the input tokens to get a fixed length vector, then we use a linear layer in combination with a softmax to predict the type.
To address the issue of unbalanced labels, we introduce a penalty that depends on the inverse frequency of the labels: log(#total / #total(y)). For example, the penalty of an almost common label is 1.17, while it is 3.66 for a rather seldom one.
In a first test, we used ~30 K tokens and five classes and we got reasonable results in less than an hour. After we finish to analyze the results, we plan to integrate the knowledge-base into the model, but this is a completely new story.